House To Markup Contracting Reform BillsMarch 20, 2012
On Thursday, March 22 at 10:00 a.m. EST, the House Small Business Committee is scheduled to markup five bills aimed at reforming and enhancing the federal contracting process. The Committee expects to markup the following bills:
- Building Better Business Partnerships Act of 2012 (H.R. 3985), which would allow the SBA to oversee all civilian mentor – protégé programs, improve small businesses’ ability to win and perform on government contracts, open the mentor – protégé programs to all small-business concerns, and ensure that a mentor businesses status as a small-business concern will not be affected due to affiliation with the mentor – protégé program.
- Small Business Protection Act of 2012 (H.R. 3987), which aims to ensure that the size standards assigned to each industry group are appropriate and do not make it more difficult for small businesses to compete for federal contracting opportunities.
- Contractor Opportunity Protection (COP) Act of 2012 (H.R. 4081), which aims to address unjustified and unnecessary contract bundling by increasing transparency, ensuring small-business contracting opportunities, and allowing small business arbiters to appeal or protest agency bundling decisions.
- Contracting Oversight for Small Business Jobs Act of 2012 (H.R. 4206), which would, among other things, define “misrepresentation of status as a small business” and provide for increased penalties for contracting fraud, create a safe harbor provision for good faith compliance efforts, and enhance the suspension and debarment processes for fraudulent businesses.
- Women’s Procurement Program Improvement Act of 2012 (H.R. 4203), which would expand federal contracting opportunities for women-owned small businesses. Specifically, this bill will allow contracting officers to award sole source contracts to economically disadvantaged women-owned small businesses and women-owned small businesses in substantially underrepresented industries, under certain conditions.
NSBA will provide updates following the mark-up.